The department of General Medicine deals with the prevention, diagnosis and non-surgical treatment of various diseases. It serves as the first point of contact whenever a patient visits the hospital. A general physician conducts a physical examination of the patient and then recommends the necessary tests and diagnostic procedures. The results of these tests, the general physical examination and symptoms are then correlated to arrive at a final diagnosis. Depending on the final diagnosis, the general physician gives the necessary treatment (usually medication) to the patient or refers to a specialty department for further treatment.
Treatment & Procedures
The department of general medicine provides treatment for the following:
- All types of fevers
- Infections affecting different organs of the body
- All metabolic diseases and endocrine diseases such as diabetes, thyroid, cholesterol, obesity.
- Blood pressure
- Tummy aches, infections like vomiting, diarrhea and jaundice
- Infectious diseases
- Respiratory diseases like asthma, allergies, lung infection, cough, sinusitis, pneumonia & TB
- Disease of the joints and limbs, backache
- Problems like a headache, muscular weakness, epilepsy.